Friday 30 September 2016

Practice - Week 1

Creating presentation boards helped me think about the direction of my work. The separation allowed the required criteria become clearer. I found it difficult to visually explain my concept, because my idea regarding floral symbology is too vague. I need to revisit and improve my concept.

Inspirational Board 

I tend to use neutrals because I struggle to identify colour, so I challenged myself by focusing on vivid colours of flowers. I extracted colours using the Adobe Photoshop eye-dropper tool. This informed my colour proportion paintings, achieving accurate colour compared to my previous work. Successful aspects of my summer work are the patterns and blends of pastels, which contrast against striking glimmers of bold colour.


I was advised to continue drawing, focusing on specific areas of flowers, because there is too much information to digest otherwise. 
The contrast of my delicate pencil drawings in comparison to my richly textured expressive drawings are something I intend to explore with differing densities of fabric and stitch. These include calico for structure, silk for luxurious quality and overlaying organza to mute colours. Possibilities for embroidery include the embellisher, cornely moss and braid machines.

I digitally developed my floral drawings, to potentially produce prints of and embroider onto. I was advised to focus on the flower segments, exploring the textured surfaces with embroidery to create small-scale jewellery, then produce separate digital prints from floral motifs instead. This approach is more successful because it enables me to focus on both macro and micro aspects of my floral subjects. 


My digital design

No comments:

Post a Comment