Friday 9 December 2016

Practice - Week 11

I began my second self initiated project by photographing the dismal view I had during my bus journey home. I wanted to respond to the weather, as I had done with my first project about florals. The reflections of light contrasted exquisitely against the dark atmosphere, and the condensation on the window created interesting textures. I deliberately pixelated the lights in certain photographs to abstract my results further.

My drawing (acrylic, foiling) & my window photograph

I responded by drawing in a completely different and experimental way, to push my boundaries and create a clear contrast between my two projects. I used black paper and foiling to recreate the textures of my photographs. I was feeling frustrated during this time of year, due to the dark weather and stress of travelling in the unsavoury conditions. This frustration was reflected in my expressive style of drawing: the marks continued past the edges of the paper and the bright red was striking against the black background.

My failed sample with foiling

I was further frustrated with the unsuccessful results I obtained whilst I was weaving. The white warp lightened my red yarns, and the foiling technique that worked well with my drawings, was ineffective and further worsened the quality of my weave. The yarn between the warps was the only salvaging aspect.

My photograph & drawing (acrylic & foiling)

I began drawing again, this time focusing my attention to composition, which improved my drawing and helped to inform my approach to my samples. I tested foiling on bubble wrap and coated my weave with it, which created an unusual result.

My weave (bubblewrap & foiling)

No comments:

Post a Comment