Friday 16 December 2016

Practice - Week 12

I diverted away from the red, because it was incompatible with the white warp. I focused on the curves created by the peacock feather in my photograph instead, abstracting the form, resulting in successful minimalistic monotone drawings. The inverted effect created with the white ink on black paper is an interesting theme I would like to explore within my weaving.

My peacock photograph & my drawing

I translated my drawings into weave using black monofilament with the white warp, creating 3D spirals with huge potential. I would like to emulate this vice versa to recreate the same inverted effect that my drawings had.

My spiral monofilament weaving

My weaving related to work by Vicky Olivera, who also obtained inspiration from spiral forms. This inspired me to experiment with other media like wire and pins. However, the wire ruined the quality of my weave, as it was too thin and unrefined.

Vicky Olivera weave

During group discussion it was mentioned that my pieces resembled Elizabethan fashion collars, due to their flamboyant essence. This was a helpful suggestion for my context, and related well to my dark colour palette.

My drawing & woven experiment (pins)

I wove with monofilament and silver lurex to emulate the shimmery effect of the condensation on the bus windows. I experimented by incorporating pins in an attempt to push the boundaries of my weaving and create an uncomfortable reaction to my potential fashion accessory. This relates to the impracticality of the Elizabethan collars, however, the placement of the pins were a safety hazard, so I discontinued the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment