Friday 24 February 2017

Unit X - Week 1

Continuing from my strengths of my practice unit, I am focusing on passementerie and unconventional beauty found within nature, and the strength in mass of the miniature. I created a narrow 1.5" black and white mercerised cotton warp. This allows me to avoid limitations of colour and focus on the edges of my weaves.

Warp plan based on my photograph of butterfly

My context is influenced by Samuel & Sons lavishly decorative trimmings. I aim to push the boundaries of a trim to jewellery or installation similar to Rebecca Louise Law. 

Rebecca Louise Law installation, Samuel & Sons trimming

I was inspired by John Piper's expressive drawing techniques, so I experimented with wax crayons and inks. The wax successfully captures the hard, shiny surfaces of crystallises, and the ink residue forms the interesting surface patterns. These drawings have inspired me to use unconventional yarns such as lurex and monofilament.

My photograph of crystallises & my drawings (wax & ink)

No comments:

Post a Comment