Friday 3 March 2017

Unit X - Week 2

Elizabeth Asdhown

Instead of embellishing the surfaces of my weaves with embroidery like my last unit, I decided to embellish my weaves from within the structure using different yarns and cords, taking inspiration from Elizabeth Ashdown's weaving style and media.

Unsuccessful yarn testing

I experimented with iridescent yarns to emulate the surface qualities of the beetles I photographed. However, my samples lacked the quality of my inspiration, due to the colour being muted with the white warp. I limited the warp's dominance by utilising floating weft patterns. This mimicked the repeat of form, to highlight how small sections can be repeated to create length, resulting in impact.

Inspirational photo, my drawing, my weave (cord, lurex & twill)

I tested strips of beads, knitted cords, braids, cords and crocheted my own yarns. The knitted cords lack structure, so are unsuitable for large loops, but are appropriate for smaller loops and incorporating into the weave structure. The most successful weave consisted of pale glittery lurex with a flash of red, which contrasted effectively. It had a strong cord, which kept its structure and made my sample robust.

No comments:

Post a Comment