Friday 25 November 2016

Practice - Week 9

I began a work placement for a bridal studio 'Sandra's Studio' in London. I found the inspiration boards interesting, and compared them to the final garments. I helped to stitch inserts of a bodice, which required thick, strong thread with small, hidden stitches.

I practiced stitching lace onto fabric and was introduced to new machinery. I learned the importance of ironing seams in certain directions, as it affects how the garment hangs and avoids puckering the fabric. I was also introduced to lace and silk suppliers and participated in a client's fitting, where final adjustments were made to the bride's dress.

Pattern cutting

I was taught how to create my own pattern for a child's dress, which requires careful calculations and proportions. I ensured I cut out the fabric on-grain, to keep the pattern consistent. I attached the underlay to the outer layer using an industrial Brother machine, which allowed me to accurately sew. I found the overlocker difficult to use, as it required precision and excess fabric to work properly. Mistakes would ruin the garment, considering the machine cuts the fabric whilst it stitches.

My dress modelled on baby

I am pleased with the result I obtained, but found the process tedious and difficult. The floral pattern links to the Hand & Lock 'celebrations' brief, as flowers are used to celebrate special events such as weddings and birthdays. It also relates to the idea of "play" mentioned within the brief: my response being 'child's play'. My dress demonstrates technical construction skills, but is not an appropriate entry for the competition, because it lacks an innovative use of these skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment